Diagnosis and management of patients with headache in chiropractic practice: a questionnaire survey and prevalence registration.
Substudy protocol of the Headache in Chiropractic practice project (HIK project)
This study aims to answer some of the many uncertainties concerning diagnosis, management, and treatment of patients with headache in chiropractic practice and is a substudy of the Headache in Chiropractic practice project (Hovedpine i Kiropraktorpraksis (HIK project)) which is based at the Chiropractic Knowledge Hub. The HIK project was developed to increase our knowledge about headache management in chiropractic practice in Denmark.
In recent years, there has been an increasing focus on headaches. In Denmark, a survey among Danish chiropractors from 2014 reported that 19% of the patients seen in chiropractic practice were suffering from headache. However, there is only little insight into the types of diagnoses, management of patients, and treatment strategies regarding patients with headaches in chiropractic clinics.
The aims of this substudy are:
i. To estimate the prevalence and types of headache diagnoses used in chiropractic practice in Denmark
ii. To describe what Danish chiropractors include in the medical history and physical examination on patients with headaches
iii. To examine how Danish chiropractors manage patients with headaches (e.g., frequency of treatment, length of treatment period, use of interdisciplinary collaboration)
iv. To explore what type of treatment modalities Danish chiropractors use for patients presenting with headache
v. To study clinicians' knowledge and usage of a) the profession-specific clinical standard from the Danish Chiropractic Society, and b) the classification from the International Headache Society
Description of the cohort
The data collection will take place in Danish chiropractic clinics throughout the country. All chiropractors registered with the Danish Chiropractic Association will be invited to participate. All chiropractors practising in Denmark, including first year interns, can participate.
Data and biological material
1. A print-out logbook for registering prevalence of headache, where participants register all patients daily presenting with a headache and total number of patients in general.
2. A practitioner questionnaire with 45 questions including information on the following:
• Demographics chiropractor
• Knowledge of and applicability of the profession-specific clinical standard from the Danish Chiropractic Society
• Knowledge and use of diagnostic criteria for headache defined by the International Classification of Headache Disorders (ICHD).
• Content of medical history and physical examination
• Monitoring instruments for patients with headache
• Interprofessional collaboration
Collaborating researchers and departments
Chiropractic Knowledge Hub and the University of Southern Denmark (SDU)
Rikke Krüger Jensen, associate professor, senior researcher, PhD
University of Southern Denmark (SDU)
Henrik Hein Lauridsen, associate professor, head of studies, PhD
Chiropractic Knowledge Hub
Henrik Wulff Christensen, managing director, head of research, MD, PhD